Journalist, blogger, filmmaker, critic, artist, and poet, focusing especially on issues of sex and pornography in the context of our larger society.
- Expiration Dates. (Chap book.) New York: The Whiskey Dregs. 2010.
- “The Haircut.” Memoirs of Meanness. Ed. Sara McDermott & Melisssa McDermott. New York: Pergola Publishing. 2009.
Storytelling, Poetry Readings, and Other Performance
- Marathon drag king reading of The Outsiders. Featured reader. Title:Point arts collective at The Silent Barn, Brooklyn, NY. October 5, 2014.
- Luna Luna Presents: SUMMER DEATH. Featured poet. Mellow Pages Library, Brooklyn, NY. September 25, 2014.
- Performed with The Poetry Brothel poetry and performance series. Multiple locations. New York City. 2010 – 2014.
- The New York City Poetry Festival. Featured poet. Governor’s Island, New York City. July 2012 and 2013.
- Spill! True Stories of Queer Sex, Desire, and Romance storytelling series. Featured storyteller. Fontana’s, New York City. July 2012 and May 2013.
- Patasola’s Parlor Reading and Performance Series. Featured poet. Happy Ending Lounge. New York City, April 2013.
- Poor Mouth Poetry Series. Featured poet. An Beal Bacht, New York City. July 2012.
- Titillating Tongues: NYC Erotica in Poetry & Prose reading series. Featured storyteller. Huron Club at the SoHo Playhouse. June 2012.
- Bare! True Stories of Sex, Desire, and Romance storytelling series. Featured storyteller. Union Hall, Brooklyn, NY. May 2012 and April 2014.
- Conversations at the Wartime Café reading series. Featured reader. Unnameable Books. Brookly, NY. September 2011.
- LitCrawl NYC 2011. Featured reader. Bluestockings Books. New York City. September 2011.
- Black Ink reading series by The Whiskey Dregs. Featured reader. Angels and Kings. New York City. April 2010.
- Nerd Nite NYC. “Swingers: A Socio-bio-evolu-theo-histor-ical-logical Look at Today’s Partner Swappers.” Presenter. October 2009.
Films, Installations, and Curatorial Work
- “Consent: Society.” Director/Producer. Installation. Cinekink Film Festival NY. 2013.
- “Consent: Morality,” special edit. Director/Producer. Short film. YANS & RETO art festival. Anthology Film Archives, New York, NY
- Porn Panel: A Discussion of Consent in Pornography with Cindy Gallop, Sarah Forbes, Tina Horn, Sinnamon Love, Dan Reilly, and Madison Young. Panel moderator. apexart nyc. New York City, April 2012.
- The Graduate XXX Film Screening. Screening and Q&A with Producer Dan Reilly. apexart nyc. New York City. April 2012.
- Consent. Art exhibition. Curator and Director/Producer of four short films. apexart nyc. New York City. March – May 2012.
- “Consent: Society.” Director/Producer. Honourable Mention. The Good for Her Feminist Porn Awards. April, 2013.
- The Bernice Kilduff and John J. White Prize for academic writing, Fordham University, May 2005.
- The Virginia Poe Prize for poetry, Fordham University, May 2005.
City College of New York, CUNY. Publishing Certificate Program. GPA 4.0. Expected completion May 2013.
Oglala Lakota College. Lakota Oral Literature and History. Continuing education, no degree. 2006.
Fordham University. BA cum laude, 2001 – 2005. Major: English Literature. Minor: Philosophy.
Relevant Employment History
Luna Luna Magazine 2013 – present
- Write biweekly articles on feminism and sex, and a sex and relationship advice column.
Copyeditor and proofreader, freelance 2013 – present
- Copyedit and proofread book-length projects and short stories for numerous clients on a freelance basis.
The Berkley Publishing Group, Penguin Group (USA), New York, NY 2013 – present
Assistant Production Editor, Berkley Sensation
- Copyedit and proofread all materials for book covers as they are created by the copy and art departments.
- Oversee the process of cataloguing new books with the Library of Congress.
- Handle freelance copyediting and proofreading of books.
- Quality control check e-books.
The Berkley Publishing Group, Penguin Group (USA), New York, NY 2011 – 2013
Managing Editorial Assistant
- Oversaw and managed multiple departments’ efforts to produce bound galleys for publicity and marketing use.
- Collated, coded, troubleshot, and logged all freelance invoices for Berkley and associated imprints.
- Assisted the Executive Managing Editor with meetings, scheduling, routing materials, and other tasks.
- Aided Assistant Production Editors and Managing Editors with cover copy, slugs, and other editorial tasks.
- Sent all applicable books to the Library of Congress on a monthly basis.
The Woman’s POV 2010 – 2011
Freelance writer and reviewer
- Wrote reviews and op-eds, and conducted interviews for publication.
WHACK! Magazine (online) 2009 – 2012
- Hired, managed, and scheduled all staff writers, oversaw editing, formatting, and publication of all articles.
- Wrote articles once a week or more, including op-eds; interviews; and reviews of events, products, and books.
- Conducted video, e-mail, and phone interviews with numerous adult entertainment personalities, becoming the “face” of WHACK! Magazine online and at industry events.
Magna Publishing, New York, NY 2008 – 2012
- Wrote up to 15 sets of copy per month, averaging 600 words each, for two magazines.
Troubl Magazine (online—now defunct) 2008
- Wrote at least one feature article per week on topics of culture, science, and politics.
Montcalm Publishing, New York, NY 2007 – 2009
- Wrote about five reviews per month, 500 words each, for adult DVDs.
The Drawing Workshop, Chicago, IL 2006 – 2007
- Modeled for figure drawing classes and workshops
Fordham University Press, Bronx, New York 2003-2005
Assistant to the Editorial Director – Internship
- Assisted the editorial director with mailings, internet research, screening manuscripts, and proofing copy.
- Kept up good rapport with high-profile scholars, authors, editors of book series, and manuscript readers.
- Designed and maintained a database following the status of book projects to streamline the editorial process.
Other Employment History
City College Writing Center, New York, NY 2010 – 2011
- Tutored City College undergraduate and graduate students on written assignments for many subjects.
- Helped address writing issues ranging from grammar to spelling to punctuation to subject-verb and tense agreement to structural and organizational issues.
- Worked with a wide range of ESL and learning-disabled students from numerous disciplines.
- Counseled students on strategies for organizing outlines, paragraphs, and essays.
Skadden-Arps Legal Studies Program at City College of New York 2010 – 2011
- Helped pre-law students with their papers for all classes: helped brainstorm, outlined, helped with drafting and editing.
- Instructed students with English as a second language in basic grammar and writing techniques.
Red Cloud Indian School, Pine Ridge, South Dakota 2005-2006
Volunteer Teacher’s Aide, Bus Driver, Drama Club sponsor
- Planned and taught lessons for kindergarten and preschool in a Montessori-style classroom.
- Counseled, disciplined, and monitored 37 students, deriving skill in handling stress and conflict.
- Directed and produced a high school theatrical production as co-head of the Drama Club.
- Acquired a CDL to drive school bus before and after school and to extracurricular events.