Life has been moving along at the pace of summer, which is to say exhausting marathons of work, work, more work, socializing, traveling, family visiting, more work, plenty of sex, and still more work. I haven’t had the wherewithal to write anything coherent, but here are some short observations, just so I can check “write a blog post” off my list for the day:
1) DING, DONG DOMA’s DEAD. And so is Prop 8.
Of course there’s still an uphill battle to be fought by the LGBTQ community in so many ways, but at least there is a ruling from the highest court in the land implying that equality is right. I hope, hope, hope that a snowball effect will develop.
2) PRIDE WEEKEND FTW! The parade was total insanity. I saw a chubby trans guy wearing a shirt that said “100% Trans Fat” and was like… HELLFUCKINYEAH! And there was this little girl on her dad’s shoulders collecting beads as the pride flags flew by, and there were these queens and these married gay NYPD officers kissing in the street and just… Joy. We don’t get enough of that these days.
3) I’ve been helping develop a female character in a project on which I’m currently the only female member. I love helping them out, but I’ve been occasionally reminded that, and this article really gave me twice the rocket fuel to make these characters REAL PEOPLE. “Men grow up expecting to be the hero of their own story. Women grow up expecting to be the supporting actress in somebody else’s.” (And thank goodness someone else has noticed and felt free to comment upon the flatness of the Doctor’s new companion… jus’ saying.)
4) I am horrible at faces. When someone taps me on the shoulder and waves hi, I never know if it’s because they recognize me and I KNOW them, or if they recognize me from the internet, or if I’ve just got a crazy mojo shininess thing going on. This has been happening to me a lot lately. So if you’ve tried to say hello to me and I’ve given you a blank stare… I do apologize. Please just introduce yourself right away so I know what the hell I’m supposed to be doing in response. I’m kind of an introvert in real life, and my instinct is to slink away rather than ask who the hell you are. Sorry folks.
5) I feel like that guy in Mallrats, man. I can’t do these anymore. This saddens me.