My darlings, I apologize for my lack of blogginess! Things have gotten super busy out here in Missoula over the past few weeks, and though I am still planning to do more reviews of Trump-related porn parodies, I’ve been unable to find the time! So, whoops! I haven’t updated for a while! I hope to write again soon with more pertinent fare! But in the meantime, hey, here’s some interesting reading for you:
- One of my porn heroes and a really amazing human being, Christopher Zeischegg, who used to perform for big-time porn companies as Danny Wylde, was recently interviewed by Forbes freaking magazine about his post-porn life! Read up!
- There’s a really, really, really interesting examination of the burgeoning trend of smallish, skinny guys in mainstream porn from Vice. I really literally cannot explain to you how fascinating this is. Please read it.
- This recent interview with top porn agent Mark Spiegler‘s mouth-agape astonishment at what he does for a living is flat-out adorable.
- Adult filmmaker Ovidie has begun to speak publicly about her upcoming documentary, Pornocracy (hilariously also the title of a never-finished web series that I started years ago with a porn critic friend, which unintentionally went on to launch WHACK! Magazine and push me toward the career I have now), and I’m really excited about it because it takes a hard look at the effects that the MindGeek monopoly has had on the porn industry.
- In one of those perfectly timed pop culture moments, shortly after Pornocracy began making the media rounds, MindGeek’s flagship site, PornHub, announced that it was launching a new sex-education blog. The Internet media glommed onto it with glee—OMG A PORN COMPANY IS DOING SOMETHING RESPONSIBLE YOU GUYS!—but everyone who knows anything about porn rolled their eyes and grumbled because UGH. PornHub is one of the biggest culprits behind porn piracy but ALSO maybe the biggest reason that modern audiences don’t know a damn thing about sex because they’ve watched too much free porn. Like. You can’t fix a problem you are actually causing unless you stop causing that problem. *headdesk*
- Oh, also: support this crowdfunding campaign to erect a giant statue in honor of David Bowie in his hometown of Brixton, okay?
Oh, and in case you’re wondering what’s been keeping me so busy that—oops!—I didn’t blog, here’s what I’ve been up to:
- Researching an article about the state of kink and kinky porn in America in the wake of the decentralization of Kink.com, the gutting of FetLife, and the release of the second Fifty Shades movie for MEL Magazine.
- Securing seed funding for Oneshi Press‘s first print book run! Plans are moving along and we’re almost ready to relaunch our website, announce a book-release date, schedule a launch party, and book a table at a comic convention! (We can always use more help with these big tasks, btw, so feel free to lend a hand at our Patreon page!)
- Planning the publicity blitz for my book, Watching Porn, due out in June from The Overlook Press! Galleys have gone out to readers and publications. Interviews are being scheduled. Launch events are in the works! Stay tuned!
- And because I’m clearly not busy enough with all of this plus my editing gigs, I’m also deep into the process of writing a kid’s book and a new short comic for Oneshi Press. Why not?
- Oh, also! I had a birthday! There was much sake. (See photo above.)